Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Working from Home as a Developer

Remote work is trending in the last couple of years. And more and more, regular office jobs in big companies get days to work from home, even if they are not from the Tech area. As I was a corporate accountant before, I never experienced home-office or remote work before, but this year was the beginning!

I've been working from my home office since March 2019, and let me share my experiences.
First of all, I needed to make sure I can work comfortably from my home office desk, and for this I have a big screen monitor with a docking station and a good 14" laptop.

What are the advantages?
  • I can manage my time. Normally there is no pressure, I can prioritize my work and day.
  • No workplace stress, conflicts with coworkers, micro-managing boss etc. This is very appealing!
  • I can make as many breaks, or I can work as long as I wish.
  • I can listen to music, in the background.
  • I communicate by email, so there is not much interruption during the day.
  • I can make a big break in the middle of day to do the groceries, gardening, swimming, shopping etc
  • I can take days off or even a mini-vacation without disrupting my development process.
But there are disadvantages, also:
  • I need to plan my week to know what are the priorities. Nobody will tell this to me.
  • I have to be very careful with the pace. Not too much work, not too less. 
  • I really need to do some exercise, otherwise my concentration is going down.
  • There is a risk that I eat too much and have too less exercise => I might gain some weight.
  • Some isolation and loneliness, which I try to balance with exercise and reading, and study of new instrument.
  • Distraction - looking to youtube videos or just doing other things than work.
  • Fear that I will be left behind in terms of technology.
  • Not much technical supervision and mentoring, I need to research all the unknown technical stuff for the project. This requires some confidence and courage to find workarounds if the ideal solution is not found.

What do you think, would you work as a remote developer? Or anything, from home?

No comments:

Post a Comment